Lesson for leaders
How can publishers switch from being disrupted to exponential growth that disrupts others? In a growing range of businesses, exponential growth disruption wins. When an exponential competitor succeeds, they rapidly scale their business and transform an industry.
Linear growth companies fall behind. Linear is not an option.
As publishing turns fully digital, its companies face this existential threat: if you’re not an exponential competitor, you lose.
Exponential growth wins
The biggest obstacle to learning is the illusion of knowledge—the belief that you know what the world is, and the answers.
Most companies and startups are linear. From the CEO to the lowest employee, everyone is totally driven to make what they do a few percent better each year. You’re great if your numbers are up a small percent, and it’s a disaster if they’re flat. When you achieve incremental growth you’ve improved the bottom line, and everyone applauds your success and contribution.
It’s too bad that you’re playing the wrong game, and don’t know it.
Exponential competitors change business models, products, services, and customer connectivity until they find innovations that scale. Then they disrupt the industry’s business growth by changing the game. When they grow exponentially, others lose.
Either you add an exponential business to your company, or it’s game over.
Today’s business: exponential disruptors capture industries
Exponential business growth is replacing incremental growth in ever more industries.
But which companies will win? According to the stock market, the digital winners drive the world’s biggest valuations—the most valuable companies. Five of six most valuable companies in the world are tech leaders: Apple, Alphabet (Google), Microsoft, Amazon, and Facebook.
Here are exponential competitors whose growth rates exceeded their linear competitors:
Will exponential competition do more than lead growth? Will this devour the world’s wealth, too?
How will a publisher drive exponential business growth?
People-first technology is a new kind of pervasive technology that alters everything online. It adds fundamental re-definitions of the practice, purpose, and value of computing and networks. 21st-century publishing platforms evolve two-way, interactive, always-on interactions. They embedding Active Knowledge content and actionable options inside every interaction.
Consider just four of a people-first publishing platform’s leverage points as examples:
- Change control: It uses people-first technology to change the point of control to each person.
- Change to always-on connections: Each person has multiple “live” Shared Life Spaces, with a live “presence” in each of them. They are active or inactive. When a Shared Space is active it is “focused.” While all of its connections are on, each may be active or inactive. “Inactive” keeps you from being overwhelmed, but it remains connected and ready. The instant it is activated, it is live and “there” for you. No waiting or hunting around. Just do and be. Hum it: do-be-do-be-do.
- Change everyone’s personal success: Online actions are turned into embedded triggers designed to auto-display the world’s best knowledge, tools, resources, and commercial options for that step. Everyone gains immediate use of the “next best step” and the “short path to their goal.” Imagine a world where everyone can be the world’s best at everything they want. How much will that planet improve today? How much will it improve again tomorrow? And every day from now on?
- Change the user interface to the world’s most valuable real estate: Each user’s instructions can change the interface on all their screens, across their “family of devices.” If your goal is your personal health and helping stop climate change, this will change the advertising and content on all your screens so you can finally live in the world you believe you should enjoy (rather than the one you must buy today). Just choose from the products and services you see and want, and your preferred companies will build and deliver the better world you choose. This will change the economy to Connected Consumption.
This is exponential competition because you give everyone the world they want and choose. You bring “visible markets” into existence so companies can operate more accurately, efficiently, and profitably by serving every customer personally. Your publishing platform drives the partnership that capitalism will become when “visible markets” redirect the economy to sell and deliver what people choose and want the economy to deliver to them.
This is the meta level on which publishers need to compete so they are not forced into extinction. Instead, this new 21st-century publishing platform returns publishing to its position as society’s main delivery system for choices, information, and enlightenment.
As millions of people make their decisions, they produce AnthroTechTonic Shifts. “Anthro” for people, “tech” for technology, and “tectonic” for the earth shifting impacts of their millions of decisions. Their choices redirect the economy to what people decide to want, display, and achieve.
For you, your user interface is your preferred companies’ most valuable real estate, and a mortal threat to blocked companies that are not people-first. Your Connected Consumption launches the “visible hand of the market,” and all companies are pushed to consider joining Partnership Capitalism. If a company sells unhealthy products and they are blocked on millions of screens, they can rapidly switch to selling products people want. But if they don’t, their shareholders will find CEO’s who will sell products people want to display and enjoy.
Publishing‘s new leaders will redefine their business growth model as a two-way platform that helps everyone benefit from personal control, connections, personal success, and boundaries. Their platform will also scale into a cloud service. It will help many people-first companies use it to remain leaders.
As many companies use its always on customer-vendor relationships to add Connected Consumption, your publishing company can earn part of every transaction.
This switch to people-first technology starts universal prosperity, protection and adds greatness that includes everyone. It embeds achievable successes inside what everyone does digitally, worldwide, every minute, at the speed and scale of networks. And it gives publishers of a people-first Publishing Platform the opportunity to lead the world economically, by starting a successful Digital Earth.
Related articles in Media 2025:
- First article — Executive Summary: Lead exponential digital growth through publishing and advertising
- Next article: Your company’s digital future is still open, if you capture it first